Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Memories of Grandma(s)

I have been very fortunate to have 4 Grandma's in my life. You may ask how can she really have 4 Grandma's?
There is my Great Grandma Small or as everyone called her Grammy she was my Dad's Grandma and she lived until her mid 90's. She was was able to welcome her 10th Great, Great Grandchild (Nicole) before she passed away. She lived down the long driveway behind my parents home.
Then there was my Dad's Mom (Grammy's daughter) she too lived until her 90's and lived just down the road from us so we had lots of time to visit, learn and enjoyed each other. Both Grammy and Grandma Lee were single Mothers and were hard working women.
Still on my Dad's side of the family, since my Grandpa got remarried I had yes another Grandma Lee, but to make sure we didn't confuse us we called her Grandma Eva. I remembering going to visit my Grandpa Lee and Grandma Eva almost every Summer. Playing cards was a highlight and I got to ride my bike in the city. Shortly after we got married my Grandma Eva passed away.
The picture above is my Grandma McConnell. She is my Mom's Mum (I thought I should refer to her as my Mom would).
As with my other Grandma's I had a wonderful relationship with her. There is lots memories that are flooding my memory now. Saturday I had the opportunity to be able to say farewell to her. It was a sweet time to seat by her side, stroke her hand and was able to let her know how much I loved and appreciated her. Later that night I got the called that Grandma passed away.
Grandma loved her tabloids and I remember our conversation when I told her that the articles are fabricated. Her response was "they wouldn't print it if it wasn't true". Grandma did have a tendency to be a little naive (now you know where I got it).
Grandma's house was the gathering place, since most of her children lived out of town that made it convenient for all. But it wasn't limited to her children and grandchildren, it was open to all.
When I was in school I always like to tell my friends that I went to visit my Grandparents in Canada. Little did they know that they only live about 25 miles away.
She was wonderful example, she never spoke unkindly about anyone, she was a wonderful hostess always making sure all had cookies, a snack and coffee, tea or some kind of beverage. It was a little difficult when I was trying to watch my weight, I really thought she was determined to make sure I didn't go home without a cookie or snack.
Oh, how I treasure these memories and feel so blessed to have the influences of these wonderful women.
I am grateful that I know that I will be reunited with them someday.

2 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Ahhhhh, these are sweet memories Donna. My condolences and sympathy to you. I'm glad you had such good women to make a difference in your life. You do the same for others and I appreciate it.

Darla said...

Donna,
I was so sorry to hear about her passing. Hold her memories close.
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers...


Love ya !!!