Friday, February 12, 2010

Olympic Spirit

When the Olympics were held in Salt Lake I felt like I know this city since I visited it many times, and felt I was there in spirit. Not to mention that I knew friends that packed up the car and drove their families so they could enjoy the Olympic spirit in person. I loved to hear their account of their journey.
Now the 2010 Vancouver Olympics are here and literally in our backyard (if it's north would that be front or the backyard). You can tell by the signs welcoming Olympic visitors, border security updates, media coverage, Olympic trinkets at local stores, new road construction projects and even one of our local cities have posted 100 flags from many of the nations participating in the games near the main street into the city.
When I younger and my Mom explained the dedication, sacrifice and determination to master the necessary skill level to compete. And if they win they receive a medal and the gold medalist got their country national anthem played. Whenever an USA team member receives a gold metal and the recipient gets emotional I find that I get a little teary eye with them as I remember that they are representing our country and they have worked very hard for this honor.
I will be watching and cheering these talented athletes in the Olympic spirit.